Monday, September 1, 2008

Buckwheat Coconut Soft Chocolate Cookies. Vegan.

So I have finally come to a point where I can make a non-crunchy cookie without eggs. This is so exciting because I quite prefer soft and/or chewy cookies (and the first go at it produced very hard cookies- hard past the point of crunchy). I made these the day that I completely messed up the eclairs. I needed something to restore my baking self-esteem, also because I had touched the "I want sweets" nerve with the idea of allergen-free eclairs.

I highly recommend these. They were awesome, to be humble about it. Also I think that they would translate to GF easily, since there is only one cup of gluteny flour in them.

IMG_0006

Recipe!

Preheat oven to 325* F. Line some cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl whisk together:

1 cup Buckwheat flour
1 cup light spelt flour (can sub 1 cup white, wheat, or GF flour+xanthan)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup Quinoa flakes (can sup rolled oats, if GF make sure they're certified GF)
1 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp powder
a heaping 1/2 cup dark cocoa
about 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar

In a separate bowl combine:
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp molasses (I used a blurb. Very exact measuring there.)
5 Tbsp warm milk (I used hemp, use whatever kind of milk you want. Coconut milk would go with the theme.)
2 tsp vanilla (again a blurb, probably actually was more than that. It's hard to overdo vanilla, unless you dump the whole bottle in.)
Egg replacer for 2 eggs. I use Ener-G plus a Tbsp of ground flax.

Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix to combine. If needed, add additional milk 1 Tbsp at a time until dough is pliable and shiny.

Scoop onto cookie sheet. If using GF flours, don't forget to smoosh them a little, because they don't generally spread as much.

Bake for 15 minutes or until firm.

On some of them I added a glaze made from vanilla chips (they weren't vegan) melted with hemp milk and whisked with a little confectionary sugar. I sprinkled those with a little shredded coconut to hide the unmelted bits of chips.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

*eats hand* ooo... these look really good.

Beth Ann said...

:p they are! Make them!

Anonymous said...

but i have no kitchen supplies... or kitchen... of my own for a whole month! :(

Beth Ann said...

How sad! I wish that I had money to send you a package!

Anonymous said...

it's ok - i'll be home in 4 weeks, we can arrange something then.

it's not like i have an address anyway. :)

Cindy said...

I love coconut (flour) and buckwheat variations! I don't use spelt (for gf), but these look like they're worth a try with coconut flour instead of spelt. I love the addition of quinoa flour!

Beth Ann said...

Karen- that's true, it's hard to mail things to a nomad! I'm excited for you to come home!

Hi Cindy! I love coconut flour too- a nice addition might be a nut meal/flour with the buckwheat and coconut, or maybe some sweet sorghum to sub the spelt. I know that you're low-sugar too, (I read your kitchen blues blog sometimes!) so I think if you cut the sugar to a half-cup, added a half-cup of agave, and maybe subbed some applesauce or other sweet pureed fruit for some of the liquid/oil, you could have a nice, more you-friendly cookie!