Thursday, April 10, 2008

Muffins!

So I don't know if it's because I've been stressed, or because everyone is stressed and I was raised with the principle that a cookie and a glass of milk (after seventh grade soy milk, and after a while juice) will fix anything for at least a few moments, so I like to bake things to liven peoples' spirits, but I've been baking a lot. Tonight it was muffins, for the roomies in the morning and to take on our overnight (Brian and I are going to Jillian's for a friend "weekend" (we both have to work Saturday night though, so it's just an overnight).) And because I'm out of rice milk and need a breakfast tomorrow.



This recipe is a little wacky because I was tired and not paying enough attention.

Blueberry-Strawberry-Yogurt Muffins!



Preheat oven to 375.

Stir together:

1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour

After this is well combined, remove 1/2 cup and put it in a plastic baggie. The base recipe that I was using only calls for 2 cups of flour, but I convinced myself that there were only three halves, added the garbanzo and said, "rice, sorghum, millet, arrowroot, ... crap." So if you want my exact flour mix, that's how I got it.

To the 2 cups of flour whisk in:

2-ish tsp xanthan
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 scant tsp baking soda
1/2 TBSP egg replacer powder
a few shakes of ginger (~1/2 tsp?)

In a separate bowl, prepare egg replacer for 2 eggs (or gently beat 2 *organic* eggs).

Stir in 1 1/2 cups strawberry yogurt (regular, soy or goat). (This for me was about two Tbsp less than that plus enough apple sauce to even it out because I didn't have as much yogurt as I thought....)

Melt 1/2 cup coconut oil (don't get it too too hot) and whisk it into the yogurt mixture along with a splash of vanilla.

Whisk this into the dry mixture until just combined.

Stir in 3-4 handfuls of blueberries (~1 cup?).

Dollop into muffin tins lined with pretty papers and bake for 20-25 minutes. I used cupcake tins, so mine took just under 20 minutes, real muffin tins would probably take closer to 25.



I'm pretty excited about maowing down on these in the morning. Yeah. When I took them out of the tins they were so soft and warm, I almost had to eat one, but by this point in the day my stomach is sick of trying to digest things, and sweet with a hint of acid was not on the "good ideas" list.


<3

No comments: