Thursday, May 1, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Bread



So I really wanted something chocolate the other day, but wanted to be able to at least pretend it was healthy, and I had a zucchini that was growing soft in the fridge. The result: Chocolate zucchini bread! I wanted this to be Chocolate Chai zucchini bread, but the spices were not as prominent as I wanted them to be, so I think that I will double the amounts next time. The bread is very tasty though, dense and moist, with the very subtle hint of spice.

Recipe!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly grease two 9x5 inch bread pans.

In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave 2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate for 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until smooth.

Mix in:
Egg replacer for three eggs, whisked to foamy
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup light olive oil
2 cups grated zucchini (I only had one, so I used one cup zucchini and one cup applesauce.)
1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl whisk together:
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup mathia flour (Indian flour blend of lentil and pea flour)
1/3 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 cup singoda flour (Indian buckwheat)
1/3 cup ground flax seed
1 1/2 tsp xanthan
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp clove
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ginger (the spices I will probably double to 1 tsp each)
1 tsp salt

Add flour mixture to wet ingredients.

Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips (or 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped nuts).

Divide the batter between the two pans.

Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes. After 20 minutes I turned the temperature down to 325. Bake until toothpick or butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments: