Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New Bicycle, new recipe, sadly no new job yet.

So I've been looking for a new bike more suited to me, and not of the mountain variety. (I have had a mountain bike for a while; my friend Dan is purchasing it from me in a while.) I was looking on Craigslist for ladies bicycles and found a really neat bike. I went to look at it today and immediately knew that I must purchase it, so I did. It is a vintage Schwinn "Suburban." It is "raspberry" in color, and has a petal-generator powered headlight, and a rearview mirror. I am very happy with my purchase.



The headlight:


The tiny generator:


The rearview mirror (and me):


The insignia, and a close-up to try to capture the color




Tonight Helen came to visit and I made cookies. They turned out really well, though I didn't completely sub all of the ingredients, they are almost-vegan and almost-allergen free. I was making a rather large batch to take to several people and I wanted to use things that I knew would work instead of making a bunch of small batches and tweak them to make them perfect in every way. I think that they would be very easy to completely de-allergenify.

Two variations of Oatmeal Cookies:



Butterscotch chip (also known as Oatmeal Scotchies) and Chocolate Oatmeal

Notes:

*For the Butter/Shortening mix I used 1/2 cup butter (this is what added the little non-vegan and little allergenic bit) and 1 cup coconut oil (I doubled the recipe, so in the single recipe that I will transcribe that would be 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup, respectively). This is my mother's recipe, and she said that with just shortening the cookies stay in whatever shape you put them in the oven and with just butter they spread everywhere and stay very soft. A mix lets them spread but hold form enough so that they don't fall apart. I'd like to try these with just coconut oil, but I decided to use some butter this time.

*These are wheat free, but if you are gluten free, make sure that your oats are *certified gluten free*! Due to growing and processing practices, oats that are not labeled "certified" often are contaminated, though they are naturally gluten free.

*In the last step for the additives, add whatever flavorings, or a cup of chunks of whatever you want- raisins, mixed dried fruit, chocolate chips, vanilla chips....

*I made one large batch and split it before the last step so I could make the two variations.


The Recipe!

Cream together:
3/4 cup Butter/Shortening mix
1 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used light brown)

Prepare three egg replacers with the amount of water for two, so that it is very thick and foamy. Mix this into the sugar-oil mixture.

Mix in:
1/3 cup milk (whatever variety you prefer to bake with)

Blend in:
3 cups oats
1 cup flour (I used millet and was very pleased) (*If using gluten free flour, add 1/2 tsp xanthan. I used 1/4, but some of my cookies fell apart when I moved them from the cooling rack to the plate, so a little more might be beneficial.)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
blurb or two of vanilla

When this is mixed together stir in:

For chocolate: 1/4 cup dark cocoa
For scotchies: 1 cup butterscotch chips

And in other areas of my life:
Still looking for a job, health insurance, and car insurance. However, Mrs. Johnson is going to let me paint what will soon be my room, which is exciting. It is now a not-quite-pale yellow. I think that I am going to paint it a nice calm sage-y green. They have a bed frame for me, I need to purchase a mattress set though. We have also discussed rent and duties, and I'm pretty excited. At least some parts of my life are coming together. Slowly but surely it all will.

On a much more shallow excitement, Brian got advance tickets for the new Batman Movie for Friday- ooo, exciting. Also, he got his first tattoo. Though I have mixed feelings about tattoos sometimes, I like it. He does too. Hopefully he will for the rest of his life. It's in a nice subtle place- on the instep side of his right heel. It is meaningful and neat looking, yet nerdy if you know what it's from. I will post pictures of it soon.

Also, I was amused when I visited Sally's blog today and saw her version of a recipe that I came upon just hours before while I was (on a break) at work. It looks quite tasty, both in the original and in hers and I feel that I will definitely have to make it soon.

It is way past my bedtime, but laundry had to be done. Tomorrow I have to get up so early so that I can get to the bank before work.

Goodnight moon.

No comments: