Thursday, January 17, 2008



I made cookies the other day.

I made oatmeal cookies for Stephanie (who was visiting this week! Yay!) and my darling, and chewy quinoa cookies for me. :) The wheat free version I made for myself turned out delightful, and two days later they are still soft, even though I had them on a plate on my table covered (not as tight as would be ideal) with plastic wrap. They are now, as of a few hours ago residing in a bag in the freezer, because I found myself munching too freely. He he. But they turned out nice and soft, not as gooey as the oatmeal ones, but still very moist. They didn't brown as much on top as would have been ideally aesthetic, but I'm not that picky. The bottoms and edges browned nicely though (ignore the one to the back of the plate in the picture- it's not as burnt as it looks. My ancient campus apartment oven doesn't heat too evenly so it makes it difficult to bake extremely evenly).

For the quinoa cookies:
3/4 cup EITHER (half-shortening-hallf butter) OR 3/4 cup Coconut oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2-3/4 of a banana, mashed, plus two Tbsp potato or arrowroot starch
3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup milk (regular, rice, soy, whatever)
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
If using coconut oil- 1-2 tsp butter flavoring (optional)
2 cups Quinoa flakes
1 cup Quinoa flour
1 cup flour blend
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1-2 handfuls of raisins
3/4 to 1 cup chocolate chips (I like mini, and I use Enjoy Life! brand, which are about mini sized anyway, so it works out :) )

Cream together the margarine/shortening or oil with the sugar and honey.
Beat in banana, vanilla and butter flavoring, and add milk.
Mix together the flakes, flours, and other dry ingredients, add to wet mixture until combined.
Stir in raisins and/or chocolate chips, or nuts or other dried fruit, or whatever else you might want to put in the cookies. Butterscotch chips would be delightful I feel.

For Oatmeal cookies, keep everything the same, except in stead of the flakes and two flour measurements, use 3 cups Oats and 1 cup flour.

No comments: