Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Pan-cake for dinner, and a picture-heavy update post...



So for dinner today I wanted something light and non-salty. I thought pancakes, but didn't want to spend time making up a whole batch of pancakes just for myself. Then I remembered this post and figured an easier way to have my pancake sooner with less sweat and mess. So I made up some buckwheat pancake mix (recipe to follow), poured it into my heated, lightly oiled skillet, sprinkled it with some allergen free chocolate chips and organic unsweetened coconut, and popped it in the 350 degree oven for fifteen minutes or so.

In the pancakes:
1 cup Buckwheat Flour
1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Three generous squirts Honey (2ish Tablespoons)
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Arrowroot or Potato Starch (or egg substitute for one egg, or just one egg)
1 cup + a little extra warmed Rice Milk (or soy milk, or coconut milk, or milk milk)
2 Tbsp melted Coconut Oil (or butter or margarine or olive oil)

Whisk together dry ingredients, whisk in wet ingredients.



And it turned out delicious! It baked through nicely, the edges were just a little crispy... mmm. Topped it with a little drizzle of pure maple syrup. :) Excuse the blurry pictures, the lighting was much less than pristine in the apartment tonight. I ate about a third of it. My darling and I will probably eat the rest of it's whole-grain, low sugar goodness before our workout tomorrow (New semester starts, and we are going to start working out again, hopefully with our schedules, we will be able to stick with it better this time around. We both have MWF mornings free, so we are going to go then- 8:30 every morning baby!.)



As promised long ago, here are some pictures of my pretty new computer. :) I love it lots. I feel very blessed.





And now, here are some other fun food adventures of late:

What's more Christmasy than guacamole? It's red and green! Though this batch turned out more like a green salsa, because the avocados were much less than ripe.



One of the first nights that I was back at my parents' house for break I made dinner, and it turned out very pretty, and tasty. Fresh flatbread with home-made hummus (with roasted red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes) and shrimps in a tangy tahini based sauce with peas.



For Christmas presents I made little packages of biscotti (tiramisu flavored and cranberry-pistachio), brown sugar fudge, and handmade chocolate mint truffles.







I also made some cranberry-orange relish and had my first canning experience.



And, last but not least, my allergen-free pursuits: I made crackers (several different kinds, including plain, salted, poppyseed, and rosemary)...



and sugar cookies... These ones had just sugar on top, but I also made some fudge-y topping with almonds and coconut...



And I made chocolate-mint biscotti, and honey-almond biscotti, but didn't get pictures of it.

No comments: