Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tortillas!

So today marked eleven months since Brian asked me the question "will you be mine?" :)

And, being that we are an awesome and creative couple, guess what we did....?

If you guessed "went to the eye doctor and got new glasses for Brian" you win a plush bunny. And by 'you win a plush bunny', I mean, I want one.



After we got out of the eye doctor's, we had a quick jaunt to Wegmans and purchased a delicious Lindt Creation 70% Orange gourmet chocolate bar, and a few ingredients for tacos. We came back and I made safe-for-me flour tortillas (made with rice, quinoa flour, and tapioca flour), and had healthy-ish tacos made with lean ground turkey, and even got light sour cream. Other toppings included avocado (too lazy and poor for guacamole), tomato, cheese for Brian (the sour cream was his too), lettuce, and salsa.



Before we went to the eye doctor, since we got there a half hour early, we popped over to the pet store that is down the plaza. Brian was sad that there were no scorpions, but we looked at the kitties and there was a really kute adolescent cat named Korea who I really wanted to take home. She was white with grey spots and really friendly. I always feel so depressed that I can't take them all (or any) home.





Recipe for allergen free tortillas:

2 cups of flour (I used 2/3 cup white rice flour, 1/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup quinoa flour, 2/3 cup tapioca flour, and 1 tsp xanthan gum)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp mild coconut oil, shortening, or lard (I used coconut oil)
2/3-1 cup warm water

Blend flour mixture, baking powder, and salt thoroughly

Add coconut oil (or shortening) and mix with fingers until shortening is crumbed through the flour mix evenly (or as evenly as you can get it.

Add 2/3 cup warm water, mix to combine, using mixer or hands. If using mixer, after the water density is uniform, see if the crumbs will knead into a dough. If it doesn't, add water, a little at a time, until it comes together.

Knead for a few minutes, then divide into "golf-balls" and set aside, covered with a damp towel or plastic so that they don't dry out.

Let sit for several minutes. (This is when I prepared the ingredients for the inside of the tacos- I put the meat on to cook, and prepped the other ingredients. I started rolling and frying right after I put the seasoning and water over the turkey to marinate.)

This is the method that I used to roll out the tortillas so that they wouldn't stick to the table or the rolling pin:
I taped a piece of parchment paper to the table, then after flattening a ball of dough a little with my hand, covered it with saran wrap and rolled it with the pin. I wasn't super careful about the shape- they have more character that way- and I also made them a little thinner than traditional, but they were still pliable (when warm, just like regular tortillas, when cold they cracked if bent).

Overall, we were very pleased!

No comments: