Monday, February 25, 2008

Break, 1st anniversary, and dinner tonight

Break was nice. It was good to be home. My parents are pretty much amazing, and my Georgie is so cute (and ornery, but hey, he's a cat), I just love him. I also got to see Cherisse and my godson, who is so big! He just turned two, and is almost as big as a three year old. Sadly, the only pictures are on my cell phone, and I don't know how to get them off of it. Brian took my camera on the roadtrip he and the guys went on. They did stop by and visit me on the way back through, which was nice. They got stuck in traffic and weather though, so instead of getting to my house around nine, they got there around half past midnight. They still ate the cheesecake I made though. (I hate cheesecake, and am pretty sure that even if I liked it, it would make me sick.) Then they were on their way to rochester at about two. I could not convince them that it would have been a better idea to spend the night and leave in the morning, they "just wanted to get back" that night. Crazies. They did make it back safe and sound though, and I went back to campus Saturday to spend coveted time with my darling, as Sunday (yesterday) was our first anniversary!

We divided the celebrations of our first between Saturday and Sunday. Saturday we went out to dinner at the Macaroni Grill, a nicer restaurant in Henrietta. Not very hypoallergenic, but extremely tasty. I tossed my self control out for the night and we partook a lot of food that I really shouldn't eat. It didn't really make me too sick though, thankfully. I have been reintroducing, very slowly, some things, like dairy yogurt and popcorn, but this was my first big interaction with wheat and cheese. We split a calamari appetizer, which was good, but I don't know that I'd order it again for a while. Then I got lobster ravioli (the white wine sauce was very different from what we used to make at the restaurant, much cheesier), which was really good, and my darling got mushroom ravioli, and we sampled each other's plates, his was really good too. Then we got dessert. HOLY TASTY BATMAN! I realize that what I consumed was really terrible for me, but I do not regret it at all. Brian got tiramisu. It was really good. I got this cake that was better than any other restaurant dessert that I have ever had. It was a citrus cake, about three inches high, with a thick layer of lemon cream unlike any other cake topping that I've ever had. I'm pretty sure that it was whipped marscapone with sugar and citrus. Then, the cake was soaked in some sort of cream. It was so rich and tasty, wow. We shared those too, though I ate more of the citrus cake and he ate more of the tiramisu.

Yesterday, our actual anniversary, we didn't do a whole lot. We went to church and stayed for the luncheon after. Then we came back, went to our respective rooms, and napped. Later Brian came over and we just hung out until late in the evening. I had reading to do, and so I did that while we chilled, then we watched House. It was really a nice day.

Dinner today was very tasty too. I was inspired by Sally's post on salads. I had a coupon for Perdue "short cuts" chicken breast strips, so I got those when I went shopping (and, as usual, I checked the ingredients and I was surprised that it is guaranteed gluten-free! It does have traces of soy though. This was at least true of the honey-roasted variety that I got, I didn't read the other packages). I made a salad of Romaine, tomatoes, almonds, and the chicken, and topped it with a quick dressing I made from apple cider vinegar, honey, light olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. That filled up half of my plate, and the other half held thinly sliced apple that a paired with a slice of Uniekaas Hollandse Chevre, a firm but creamy, slightly tangy goat cheese. It was really satisfying. It was really pretty too, sadly, Brian still has my camera, so I can't show you.

There are other updates that I was planning on giving, but I have mucho work to do, so it will have to wait until another day.

<3

No comments: